October 27, 2008

Week 32: What in the World is Jicama?

Anyone ever ate jicama? I had to search high and low in the store just to find it. Success, Abby Lu is the size of a jicama. Although tiny, she is packing on the weight now. I feel my skin straining to hold up the weight. Pressure. I feel pressure. I'm not sure how she is going to more than double in size in the next 8 weeks. Goodness!

I have had a couple of short bouts of what I think is Braxton Hicks contractions in recent days. I feel my stomach tighten up and then release. They are not painful, just uncomfortable. I am drinking more water than usual to try and make sure I don't bring them on myself.

I want to get a full night's sleep so badly, but it isn't happening. I am going to ask about taking some Tylenol PM. I just want to stay asleep. I go between positions, try out each bed in the house and lie awake about 50% of the night.

We see the doctor on Thursday afternoon and are hoping for continued good progress toward December 24th.

from Baby Center:
By now, your baby weighs 3.75 pounds (pick up a large jicama) and is about 16.7 inches long, taking up a lot of space in your uterus. You're gaining about a pound a week and roughly half of that goes right to your baby. In fact, she'll gain a third to half of her birth weight during the next 7 weeks as she fattens up for survival outside the womb. She now has toenails, fingernails, and real hair (or at least respectable peach fuzz). Her skin is becoming soft and smooth as she plumps up in preparation for birth.

7 comments:

MM said...

Mmm...I like jicama! (The j is pronounced like an h). It's good in Mexican style salads. Doesn't have a whole lot of flavor but is kind of refreshing...like cucumbers. Although, it has a similar texture to a turnip or an unripe pear.

Sorry you aren't sleeping well. :( I'd say that I hope it gets better soon, buuuuttt I'm afraid hoping isn't going to be much help. ;)

I'll be thinking of you!

Caroline George said...

oh Anna...we should call each other while we are awake at night : )

Debra_and_Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lapiz de la Guerra said...

[sigh] I don't miss those sleepless nights at all! I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it really doesn't get any better. I spent the last two months of my pregnancy with Sybilla up 3/4 of the night. Robyn stated it best I think; this is your body's way of preparing you for those nights ahead when your darling girl will be waking you up frequently to feed! Don't worry, it will all be over soon enough and you'll be holding that beautiful little girl in your arms.

Anonymous said...

I am sending you this at 4:11 AM? You up? If so, maybe you can eat some nice jicima. Eventually I just lowered my expectations to not desire sleep anymore. Al

Anonymous said...

Love jicama!!..may show up soon on shower tray... Like a pear- slightly sweet...potato consistency
We will see if you recognise it..lol ...MIMI43grlz

Erica Wagner said...

Anna, the active sleep ingredient in Tylenol PM is Diphenhydramine (or anti-histamine), which is all that a Benadryl is.

I recall being able to take Benadryl when I was pregnant.

Rather than take the un-needed Tylenol dosage, try a Benadryl instead.

But, check with your dr. first.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin