August 04, 2007

Granny's Old Singer

The thing I remember most about my materntal grandmother is her ivy plants. She had the most beautiful ivys in her house- huge deep green leaves with vines that could wrap around a room.

One of her favorite places to display an ivy was her old Singer sewing machine table. When she passed away, my mother received the old Singer table and she gave it to me years ago.


The old Singer then sat in my garage holding junk until last weekend. I decided it was time to do something about it. So, we removed the old worn out wooden top (that once housed the machine) and threw it out.

I then bought wood the right size to make a table top on the metal Singer base.


Last weekend, I spent lots of time in the garage staining the wood a dark walnut to match my other furniture.

I also cleaned the rusty metal base and painted it black.





Yesterday, Marcus put the final coat of stain sealant on the table and this morning we screwed the top onto the metal base.







Wa-lah! I have another antique from my grandparents. I put the table at the top of the stairs and took Marcus' recommendation to place an old photo on top- it is actually my father's military photo from many years ago.

The phone is 100% vintage courtesy of Pottery Barn, circa 1999.

4 comments:

~kristi said...

You have such an eye for what looks stylish and in fashion, why can't I share that part of your brain!!

Mr. and Mrs. Bryan Neal said...

That is too cute!! What a story that table could tell ...

Erica Wagner said...

Wow! Great job! I agree... I lack vision when it comes to doing anything trendy!

~kristi said...

need a new blog, where have you been this week???? miss u

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin