January 20, 2008

ACCME: Day One

This afternoon while on a 15 minute break from my conference, I walked outside the meeting space to take a picture. I was bragging to Marcus about how pretty my view was while he was driving through the flat dry landscaping of West Texas.

I learned a couple of things in my 6 hours of education today-

1. I like to be in control. It KILLED me not knowing what was for lunch. As a meeting planner, I know what is for lunch 6 weeks before the lunch is even served. I grabbed a box lunch quickly to get to the session and found a tofu wrap in my box. I don't eat tofu and I don't like wraps. I ended up having BBQ potato chips for lunch. Yum.

2. I was a CME (continuing medical education) provider at TAFP from 2000 - 2004. When I left a lot of change was in the works. It happened and I am now clueless. People were talking in acronyms that I could not define. I have never felt so dumb and really wanted to ask, "What is the ISS or CS you speak of with the PI CME?" No joke- all mentioned regularly!

3. No matter who you are when you become a meeting attendee, you lose all sense of direction. I did not want to ask for directions. It is a meeting planner pet peeve to spend thousands on signage and then when have an attendee walk past the well placed sign to ask you (You are running late, checking rooms, talking on a radio and dying to go potty) where the exhibit hall is? I did it. I lost my focus and asked where Starbucks was? I also asked it in front of the break they paid too much money for that was free to me. I know better!

I'll keep you updated as I learn more tomorrow. Here's hoping I got smarter today and spew acronyms wisely tomorrow!

Anna

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin