May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

I was driving to the Lowe's this weekend and went past the community pool, which was packed with people. I thought..."you know memorial day is the time when a lot of people do yard work, BBQ, and enjoy the pool"....and while the sales are great at the store, and the extra day off is nice, I can't forget the whole reason we get this day off.

I then decided that I wanted to bring up my Grandfather, Rufus Benjamin Noble on the blog.








Grandad was born Jan. 17th, 1917. Grandad served in the cavalry in the Army...once of the last few that actually had horses. He served in WWII, in Germany during the Battle of the Bulge.




Grandad was injured during battle there, and returned home with a Purple Heart. I still remember seeing the injury to his ankle.






Grandad passed on May 5th of 1997, quietly, at home, just after mowing the yard. He was laid to rest in Littlefield...a small, quiet West Texas town.

You know, if its a boy.....Noble...that'd be a great name. For you Grandad. Thanks.


Marcus

2 comments:

Caroline George said...

What a great post..Thanks for honoring your family!

The Gumpls said...

What an honor to be able to see a man who fought for our freedom! My grandfather was in the coast guard! I called him this morning to thank him for the service he had done during WWII!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin