August 03, 2008

Art Monk's Hall of Fame Speech

I am such a sucker for a good sports story and last night watching the Pro Football Hall of Fame ceremonies ( yes, I am that football fan) left me teary-eyed. Normally, it is the story of the guy who overcomes great odds to make it to the league and gives back to his community or buys his Mom a house. This time it was seeing a professional athlete given the ultimate glory and watching him give it all to the Lord. I wish I had been an Art Monk fan earlier.
To read his full speech, click here. Or, here are a couple of highlights that touched me.
"... in all due respect, that as great as this honor is, it's not what really defines who I am or the things that I've been able to accomplish in my life."
"... the one thing I want to make very clear is that my identity and my security is found in the Lord. And what defines me and my validation comes in having accepted his son Jesus Christ as my personal savior. And what defines me is the word of God and it's the word of God that will continue to shape and mold me into the person that I know he's called me to be. So I've learned a long time ago never to put my faith or trust in man, for man will always fail you. Man will always disappoint you. But the word of God says that Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever. And he will never fail you."
"But I understand and I know that I'm here not by in and of my own strength but it's by the grace and the power of God upon my life who I know gave me favor along the way and who provided opportunity and room for me to use my gifts. So I am very grateful to receive this honor, and I can stand here before you and say, hey, look at me, look what I did. But if I'm going to boast, I'm going to boast today in the Lord, for it's because of him that I'm here and I give him thanks and glory and honor for all that he has done for me."

3 comments:

~kristi said...

Pastor Joe commented on his speech this am. I missed his, but saw Emmitt Thomas' son say that my Dad told me to never make athletes your hero, but sorry Dad I did not listen b/c you are my hero! Balling!!

Anonymous said...

Have you read Tony Dungy's book? What the heck is the title? It has the same premise-- winning the Super Bowl is not his end all- be all. He wants he and his family to go to heaven. It's a great book. XOXO, Al

Caroline George said...

I always tear up at these things...what accomplisments some of these men have are amazing!
I'm with you ... Of course, I cry when teams win and/or lose championship games...so we could be cute crying pregnant girls together

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin