January 03, 2009

RSV is Scary

Kyleigh was unable to see Abby Lu in the hospital because she was showing signs of a cold or allergies. It broke my heart to see her so sad waiting in the hallway. Marcus hung out with her and took her on a special trip to get our lunch with him.

Having personal experience with RSV through Cohen, our nephew, Marcus and I are very aware of just how scary it can be. Cohen got RSV when he was less than one month old and was in the NICU for days. He went to the hospital by ambulance and was hooked up to multiple machines and was sedated. We want to avoid this at all costs for Abby.

We asked the pediatrician about it and she recommended we keep Abby Lu at home for the first six weeks, cover her in a blanket when waiting in the doctor's office, make everyone wash their hands, use lots of anti-bac, and of course avoid anyone with illness. Marcus and I and both of our parents had our flu shots and Marcus and I have appointments for whooping cough shots on Tuesday. Having a winter baby requires a good deal of extra precautions!

I know many of you want to see Abby Lu and we would love to show her off. Hopefully, the blog will suffice until we are beyond the 6 week point. We worked so hard to get her here that we want to be extra careful to make sure she is safe and healthy through this volatile period.

6 comments:

Billye said...

Yea for you all. Even as careful as I was with Reese, born Dec.22, she got RSV, unfortunately from me! She got it when I had gone back to work and got a cold my self. It is hard to nurse with a cold and not spread germs! I recommend changing clothes as soon as you get home so you don't bring everyone's sneezes home with you.

Debra_and_Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

It does require extra safety measures but it is worth it. Our doctor told us 12 weeks so that she had an entire month after her 2 month shots...I spent 12 weeks at home, it was hard but I didn't want my sweetie to end up with a spinal tap at the ripe old age of 8 weeks. It is better to be safe, than to have them suffer. Good for you for being cognizant of it. I am so glad to hear from the blog that things are going well. And, Matt and I got a HUGE laugh from Marcus's text regarding the explosvie poop. :)

Tabriah

Being Billingsley said...

RSV STINKS!! We are on week 3 of it here at Chez Billingsley. Stay away from all the sick folks!!!

Love,

Andrea

Melissa said...

Love the new background and title! I never knew how much worry goes into being a parent until Miss Cora graced us with her presence. I'll be praying for Abby Lu to stay healthy in this germy season!!

Mr. and Mrs. Bryan Neal said...

We will keep praying for little Abby to stay healthy through the winter!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin