January 02, 2009

Sleeping and Feeding a Newborn

Everyone wants to know two things in the voicemail and emails I am receiving- how are we sleeping and how is breastfeeding going? On both fronts (for right now and I recognize this could change at any point) our daughter is a champ!

She is sleeping from about 9:00 PM - 7:00 AM with us waking her up to feed every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. In some cases, she could sleep longer and in some cases she wakes us up at the 2 1/2 hour mark. She is feeding for 20-30 minutes and then goes back to sleep very easily. In all of my reading, this sets us up for a good pattern in the future. Ideally, she will eat every 3 hours for 30 minutes. This keeps her belly full, gives us a schedule, makes her more content and will eventually help her sleep longer sooner.

The co-sleeper we purchased works great for us. I can roll over and soothe her if needed with just the stretch of my arm. She is easy to grab for feeding and put back softly. My only complaint is that it practically attaches to our bed and it takes up the upper half. This means that I have to kick back the covers and get on my hands and knees and crawl in and out. Luckily, I don't use the restroom nearly as many times as I did!

4 comments:

Erica Wagner said...

I love all of the good reports! Keep them coming! And especially the pictures...

Being Billingsley said...

Careful now...all this wonderful talk about your sleeping newborn could push some of us into a deep depression. It just took mine 3 years to start sleeping.

Keep all those pics coming! She is adorable.

Love,

Andrea

Melissa said...

Yea! I'm excited to hear how laid back Miss Abby Lu is. Who knows. . .you may just have a really easy going little girl! Perhaps this is God's way of rewarding you for your faithfulness and patience.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that the sleeping and especially feeding is going well for you both!
CPY

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin