December 19, 2009

A Major First for Marcus :)

We left Abby with her first babysitter last night and no joke Marcus asked if we could call and check on her before we had even left the neighborhood. Mary is Marcus' coworkers daughter and we were at her house for his company Christmas party. We had Abby playing at the party and then brought her home and put her to bed. Mary just hung out and listened for the monitor. Abby never made a sound and has no idea there even was a babysitter! We came home about 11:30 and Mary was just hanging out watching TV while Abby slept. It was wonderful!
Here is a question since we are so new at this- what is the going rate for a babysitter these days? I think I made $5 per hour 20 years ago.

7 comments:

billye said...

I do 10.00 an hour normally. I figure it is more than they can make at the mall and it doesn't completely break the bank!

Judy said...

Yup, $10/hour is the minimum these days.

Colleen said...

We pay $9 an hour for our babysitter here in Fort Worth.

maggie said...

I usually get 5 to 10 dollars per hour and only with family do I get payed when the kids are only awake or in my case last weekend i got payed 2.50 per kid the whole time or 5 for the whole time that they were awake!

Erica Wagner said...

We pay $10/hour, but we have two kids and they aren't in bed when we leave.

I guess it all depends on how long you will be gone too. I think when our kids were very little, we'd pay $30.00 pretty much as a standard - leaving around 7ish and getting home by 10:30.

Anonymous said...

I tip big and pay our babysitter generously-- at least $10 an hour. But a sleeping Abby is a sweet gig! :) XOXO, Al

Lapiz de la Guerra said...

I charged $10 an hour for years, but my reasoning was that I had teaching experience and brought a ton of fun art lessons and stuff for the kids to use while I was there. If anything, you're only gone for 2-3 hours at most, and I think alone time with the hubby is well worth the money spent! Marcus cracks me up BTW...Michael does the same thing too!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin