This is what life threatening anaphylactic shock can look like. This is my sweet baby girl covered in a rash, itching, with swollen eyes, after throwing up and receiving Benadryl, an EpiPen, and oxygen. She is trying hard to smile because Mom isn't succeeding at trying not to cry.
At this point, it is assumed that Abby got into nuts at school on Monday afternoon. She has a known allergy to peanuts and has Benadryl and an EpiPen on file at school in case this were to ever happen. She had labored breathing about 3:10 PM when they called us. While Marcus was on his way, over the next 10 minutes she got much worse.
Marcus took her to the pediatrician and they administered the EpiPen and oxygen. With a severe allergic reaction, tissues inside the body swell which includes the throat. She was having trouble breathing as a result of the allergic reaction and needed oxygen in her blood because she wasn't breathing normally for 30 or so minutes. Today, she is all better with the exception of still having slightly puffy eyes.
We met with her school this morning to discuss erring on the side of caution- give her Benadryl and call us if you see any signs of a reaction. If the EpiPen becomes necessary, call 911 immediately. We will also meet with an allergist next week and run a full set of tests to determine if Abby is only allergic to nuts (and somehow got into them at her peanut-free school) or if there is a new/unknown allergen that we will have to watch out for. I don't know which I prefer.... her school to have failed us or a new allergy for her to have.
The good side of all of this... God placed Marcus at home earlier than normal and closer to her school, Abby has a father with the pediatrician's number in his cell phone who thought enough to grab her diaper bag with the EpiPen in it, and a pediatrician with an opening in her schedule and the knowledge to treat her quickly.