October 06, 2008

Hawaii Day Three: Welcome to Kauai

Today was our first day on the island of Kauai and we love it so much more than Oahu. It is the Hawaii you see on postcards and in movies. While I slept in and enjoyed football, Marcus had planned a 3 hour downhill bike tour of the Waimea Canyon. He took some wonderful pictures of the mountains, cliffs, red dirt, waterfalls and ocean. After he returned we put on our swimsuits and ventured out to find a place to relax for a few hours. When we arrived last night, it was pitch black outside. This morning, we were able to see just how breathtaking the view from our hotel lobby is. No joke, this is from the main entrance.... the concierge is 10 feet to my right. Makes my view of the parking lot at work with the flowering tree seem so mundane. On our way to the poolside restaurant, we passed Tidepools Restaurant which is set on top of this koi pond. The fish were so friendly and had such vibrant colors.
After eating poolside, we sat in 2 lounge chairs shaded by palm trees for 2 hours enjoying sleep, island music, and the sounds of the ocean. The shade of the trees and my SPF 50 sunscreen kept me nice and unburnt. Marcus got a little sun, but he'll be brown tomorrow morning.
Tonight, the company party kicked off at the beach side pool. We enjoyed live island music, expansive buffets, and Marcus tried a few fancy drinks. Apparently, men do drink the fruity stuff, but only in Hawaii. I'll try and capture a picture of Marcus with an umbrella in his drink before the week is out!
We are having a wonderful time! Since Internet is not free, I'll blog again on Wednesday! Stay tuned for more from beautiful Hawaii.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful Kauai ... Bryan and I LOVE that place!! We would go back in a heartbeat!! Enjoy it!!

Anonymous said...

Jay and I honeymooned in Kauai!! Brings back good memories....enjoy!

Debra_and_Mike said...

Mike & I went to Hawaii on our honeymoon and had a blast! We are planning a trip just as soon as I can get back into my old bathing suit. Soak up the sun, have fun and enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to talk shaved ice with you...get yourself ready! Abbie wants to know if you had grape with cream, and did you have to share??? All good questions...

The Gumpls said...

Ah... the life with no kids yet! Looks like your enjoying a great relaxful vacation! Cann't waite to hear all about it when you get back.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin