October 26, 2008

Nursery Updates

Since Marcus was out of town this weekend, my Mom and I spent the weekend shopping and crafting for Abby Lu. Mom brought up her mattress and did the trim work on her bed skirt, so I was able to put her bed together.
Mom sewed the pink ribbon, red ric rac and blue pom pom on her skirt. Her bed turned out like I had hoped- soft and whimsical.
While Mom worked on her curtains, I spent time organizing all of the sweet gifts we have been given and starting to display the things I have purchased. Her memo board will eventually be filled cute little pictures of her. The pink lidded candy jar is stuffed with bows and headbands that every little girl needs and the green suitcase holds some books to help Mom and Dad be better parents as well as two teddy bears she received at the shower last weekend.

Every nursery needs a new baby's name and I love the fun letters we found at USA Baby. They are perfect above her bookcase and next to her custom made curtains.
I bought basic white curtains from Lowes and then Mom spent hours sewing ribbons, ric rac and pom poms on them. There is pink, yellow, blue and green ribbon, red ric rac and blue pom poms. We even attached a pink ribbon tie back. I am so grateful to have a seamstress in the family- these would have cost me a fortune!


Finally, I spent hours organizing her closet. We have been given so many well loved and brand new clothing that I was losing control- already! I hung the organizers, separated out the clothes by size, and donated the clothing that was for boys or would be the wrong size in the season she would be in. I also placed tubs of clothing bigger than 12 months in her top closet shelves.
Here is my dilemma- I have a large stack of clothing for the first 12 months in the nursery. I have a dresser with 3 empty drawers (top drawer is pajamas, socks, and caps/mittens) and lots of closet space. How do I organize her clothes- by type, by size, by season? I don't know if all onesies should be together or if all 0-3 months should be together? Please help! What will work best?

8 comments:

Melissa said...

I suggest organizing by size and storing the too big stuff for later. You aren't going to want to hunt through onesies after a big blowout to make sure you have the right size. Also, be careful about giving away wrong season stuff right now. You may have a Cora. . .She is still wearing newborn stuff at 4 months. (BTW, the nursery looks FABULOUS!)

The Gumpls said...

I know that Abby Lue is going to be spoiled to goodness! Her room is so beautiful!!!! You'll have to give me some pointers when we can decorate Blythe's room all girlie!!!

Marissa said...

I have dresses and outfits hanging by size in the closet (I bought different colored hangers to distinguish the different sizes) then i have onesies, bloomers and pants in drawers separated by sizes (and season...all short sleeve onesies stacked together and all long sleeve onesies stacked together). This is what is most helpful to me...you'll find what works best for yall.

~kristi said...

you know I LOVE the bedding. But the curtains are adorable. Good job!

Debra_and_Mike said...

The nursery looks great!
I have Aidan's clothing organized in drawers by size - I recommend taking out all 0-6 month clothing and putting it in sight. We have all the rest stored in bins. We have 2 drawers: 0-3 and 3-6.
Believe me you won't have time to be digging for the right outfit and they will grow so quickly that you want to make sure to use it all before they don't fit anymore.
I just cleaned out Aidan's 0-3 drawer (yes already)!

Lapiz de la Guerra said...

I organized all of Billa's stuff by age (0-3, 3-6, etc). Your friend Melissa is spot on... don't give away everything JUST yet... wait until Abby Lu is born! Billa was 9#--we thought she would be 6#, so there went all of the newborn stuff (her coming home outfit BARELY fit her!). I had one drawer for sleepytime stuff and one drawer for daytime stuff. On one side of the sleepy drawer were little socks, shoes, hats, etc. since all of the jammies were the same style of little sleepers. The daytime drawer was split into tops and bottoms so I could mix and match (we had lots of onesies and pants). Any cute dresses I hung. All of the age groups were sorted into giant tubs which were then stacked in the closet until needed. I also have a hamper near the changing table to gather up all of the outgrown stuff which then gets washed and put away when I have time. Hope that gives you some ideas!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, Abby's room is precious! I love it and can't wait to see those curtains up close. I'm going to say go by size then season, but know that I am an inexperienced voter!

Erica Wagner said...

So beautiful! Abby Lu is one lucky girl!

Now... how often do you go in there and just sit?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin